In the bustling digital realm, new tools emerge every day, promising to revolutionize our work processes.
But few are as transformative for the nonprofit sector as ChatGPT. It’s not just a shiny new plaything in the vast tech toy store; it’s a robust powerhouse, designed to elevate how nonprofits function and, most importantly, make it easier to achieve your goals.
Several months ago, I explored the power of ChatGPT in a podcast episode titled,“Revolutionize Your Nonprofit Workflow with Chat GPT.“ I walked through the basics of the tool, sharing the myriad ways ChatGPT can seamlessly fit into your nonprofit operations.
In this article, I’m taking a step further. I’m going to go beyond the generalities, and get super specific and concrete about how you can use ChatGPT to address some of your organization’s most pressing challenges.
The Cornerstones of Nonprofit Success
Every high-impact nonprofit is a combination of three foundational elements:
- Strategic Clarity,
- Organizational Capacity, and
- Financial Capital
The intersection and interaction of these elements shape your organization’s journey, and the effective calibration of the three is essential to its sustained impact.
When most nonprofit professionals hear about AI solutions like ChatGPT, their minds immediately race to the ways that the tool can be used in just one of these areas: Increasing capital, or fundraising.
While it’s true that tools like ChatGPT have had a profound impact in that area, that only scratches the surface of its potential. There’s a much broader array of opportunities where ChatGPT, when utilized creatively, can add tangible capacity to your organization, allowing you to do more with less and to reach your mission’s goals more efficiently.
In this intricate dance between clarity, capital, and capacity, your nonprofit can use ChatGPT to establish and deepen strategic clarity, increase your capacity, and streamline your processes.
I’m going to do a deep dive into how you can think about and leverage ChatGPT in each of these core organizational areas: clarity, capital, and capacity.
For specific ChatGPT prompts you can use in each of these areas, check out my ChatGPT For Nonprofits Quickstart Guide.
Using ChatGPT To Increase & Communicate Your Strategic Clarity
Your strategic clarity is your organization’s compass. Everything starts here. Your level of clarity shapes and guides every decision, from day-to-day operations to long-term vision setting. At the same time, your ability to communicate your vision and impact with clarity determines the effectiveness of your community-building and fundraising efforts.
With the emergence of AI tools, especially ChatGPT for nonprofits, the path to achieving this clarity has been significantly streamlined.
Here are 3 ways that you can think about using ChatGPT to increase strategic clarity in your own organization:
Creating Environmental Scans for Informed Decision-Making
Nonprofits operate within a dynamic landscape. To navigate this ever-shifting ecosystem, and to maintain your clarity about your vision and intended impact, your organization will need timely and relevant insights. This is where ChatGPT shines.
Use ChatGPT to:
- Generate comprehensive reports identifying emerging trends in your sector and funding environment
- Illuminate potential threats and untapped opportunities in your funding and program ecosystem
- Create a table drawing comparisons between, and highlighting similarities and differences between your program and those of similar organizations
To use ChatGPT in this way, feed the tool information about your programs and intended outcomes, as well as about the mission, programs, and outcomes (where info is available) from other similar organizations. Also consider feeding the tool articles about the sector, as well as impact and annual reports from funders and other organizations.
Highlighting and Organizing Strategic Priorities
Every nonprofit has experienced the challenge of having too many good ideas and too few resources to make them a reality. Prioritization is critical.
Consider using ChatGPT in the following ways:
- Goal setting with SMARTIE objectives: With ChatGPT, you can transform broad organizational aspirations into focused, actionable goals. Feed the tool your overarching objectives, and let ChatGPT refine them into SMARTIE (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-bound, Inclusive, and Equitable) goals.
- Backward work planning: Feed the tool information about what your team has been doing, including work plans and meeting notes, and let it categorize tasks, identify anomalies, or even suggest areas of emphasis.
Articulating Your Vision Clearly
Clarity isn’t just about internal understanding; it’s also about how you communicate your vision to the world, from donors and volunteers to beneficiaries and the broader public. ChatGPT is invaluable in this regard.
Provide ChatGPT with your mission statement, values, and goals, and let it craft:
- Compelling narratives tailored for different audiences
- Updates for external stakeholders
- Outreach materials for volunteers
In the realm of nonprofits, where mission and purpose intertwine, having strategic clarity is non-negotiable. ChatGPT stands as a beacon, assisting organizations in illuminating their path, ensuring that every step taken is in alignment with their grand vision. The age of AI isn’t just about automation; it’s about amplification – amplifying intent, effort, and impact.
ChatGPT for Nonprofit Fundraising: Amplifying Impact
Your fundraising is your fuel. It fuels your mission, powers your vision, and ensures that you’re able to pay your team and sustain your impact. With the evolution of AI, particularly the use of ChatGPT for nonprofits, fundraising strategies are experiencing a paradigm shift, enabling the use of technology in more personalized, efficient, and effective ways.
Here are 3 ways that you can think about using ChatGPT for fundraising in your own organization:
Donor Segmentation and Personalization
Understanding your donor base is the cornerstone of successful fundraising. ChatGPT can both expand and deepen your understanding of, and ability to engage with, your donor base. Consider using ChatGPT to help you:
- Craft donor profiles based on information about your mission, vision and values
- Create donor segments based on information about donor behavior, to help you personalize your donor engagement
- Analyze donor segments to unveil patterns that can inform your campaign themes, engagement focus and language, and the types of cultivation activities you plan
- Craft language for donor welcome emails to introduce new donors to your work in a personalized way
- Create a communications plan to engage and nurture long-time supporters
- Create outlines and timelines, and draft email language for personalized outreach campaigns based on the donor profiles and segments.
To use ChatGPT in this way, “feed” (cut and paste) the tool context about your organization and donors. This includes information about your mission, vision, values and current programs, as well as any information you have available about current donor interests and activity. I’ve pulled together 50+ prompts that you can use to translate this contextual information into the list of materials above.
Whether you’re tailoring communication for long-time supporters or crafting introductions for potential donors, ChatGPT can help make sure that you’re targeting the right people, and that each message strikes the right chord.
Crafting Persuasive Fundraising Appeals
Storytelling is an art, especially when it comes to fundraising. For every appeal, every narrative must resonate with the intended audience’s emotions, values, and aspirations. Use ChatGPT to:
- Outline and draft language for donor appeals that are tailored to specific donor profiles or focused on different areas of your work.
- Craft compelling stories based on evaluation data or program outcomes
- Brainstorm stoy ideas and outlines newsletter updates or video messages from the Executive Director
To use ChatGPT in this way, feed the tool information about your organization’s current work, including its goals, plans, and successes.
ChatGPT can help make sure that every single one of your narratives is designed to captivate, resonate, and inspire action, whether it’s a donation, volunteering, or simply spreading the word.
Automating Fundraising Grant Applications
Grants are a significant source of funding for many nonprofits. However, the process of applying for grants is often tedious and time-consuming. Enter ChatGPT.
Feed ChatGPT information about your organization’s mission, vision, and history; information about the relevant program (for a program grant) or all programs (for general operating support); and a description of the program’s goals, plans, and current outcomes. Pair this information with language from successful past proposals, as well as details about the potential funder, including other grantees and current priorities. Let ChatGPT use this information to draft a preliminary proposal.
While it won’t replace the human touch entirely, it certainly streamlines the process, shaving hours off the time it takes to pull together a draft, and giving your fundraising team a place to start.
By leveraging ChatGPT for fundraising, your organization can increase the efficiency with which it works to bring in more resources and have more impact.
Using ChatGPT To Boost Your Nonprofit’s Capacity
Your organization’s capacity is the engine that keeps your work moving forward. It is the people and systems that you rely on to execute your mission and drive your impact.
ChatGPT can be a game-changer in this realm.
Here are 3 ways that you can think about using ChatGPT to boost your own organization’s capacity:
Increasing Program Capacity
Nonprofits constantly juggle a myriad of tasks, from engaging with community members to managing a corps of volunteers. Use ChatGPT to:
- Answer community and constituent questions either in real-time or by feeding commonly asked questions into the tool and creating an FAQ for your website.
- Translate your materials into various languages
- Simplify complex jargon into simple language, making complicated subjects (like health care or government systems or legislation) accessible to all members of your community.
Expanding HR Capabilities
Most small and growing nonprofits lack dedicated HR staff. That doesn’t mean that you need to forgo best HR practices. ChatGPT can add critical capacity in the area of HR! Refine and uplevel your hiring process by allowing ChatGPT to:
- Create a comprehensive job description for a particular position
- Draft hiring rubrics and aligned interview questions based on the job description and your organization’s values
- Craft standard follow-up emails for candidates that move them through the hiring process
To use ChatGPT in this way, feed the tool information about your organization’s mission, programs, and staffing structure; the planned role, including responsibilities, skills and competencies required, and deliverables; and information about a typical day/week month in the life of someone with that role inside your organization.
Increase The Efficiency of Your Board Management
Your board can and should be a partner to you in growing your organization. Unfortunately, managing board relationships, and keeping everyone informed and engaged can be cumbersome. ChatGPT can simplify this. Consider using ChatGPT in the following ways:
- Create analyses of sector trends to keep your board informed about issues that are central to your mission and work
- Write reports for board packets, including financial and fundraising updates, program evaluation summaries, and communications and marketing plans
- Create between-meeting board updates to keep board members informed about things like program updates and thought leadership
To use ChatGPT in this way, feed the tool transcripts or notes from board meetings, past reports from the team, and articles about what’s happening in the sector. Let the tool highlight key patterns and insights and draft a report for you. This not only ensures that board members have a concise understanding of critical issues but also saves precious hours that can be better utilized for strategy and impact.
ChatGPT is truly a multifaceted tool for nonprofits. While its prowess in fundraising is undeniable, nonprofits stand to gain so much more by exploring its potential in other areas of operation. In the world of nonprofits, where passion meets constraint, tools like ChatGPT can be the bridge to ensure that mission-driven zeal translates into tangible, scalable results.
Conclusion: A New Era for Nonprofits with ChatGPT
As I’ve delved into the multifaceted applications of ChatGPT for nonprofits, one thing is clear: embracing AI isn’t just an option; it’s an imperative.
From the nuances of crafting the perfect fundraising appeal to streamlining operational tasks and ensuring a cohesive strategic vision, ChatGPT can help nonprofits do more with less.
But beyond the practicalities, at the heart of it all, lies the mission. Tools like ChatGPT will allow your organization to allocate more resources to your core purpose, magnify your impact and deepen your reach.
As we stand at this intersection of technology and service, the future is ripe with potential. The age of AI for nonprofits is here, and it’s redefining how organizations connect, operate, and make a difference. Whether you’re a grassroots movement just starting out or an established organization looking to amplify your impact, integrating tools like ChatGPT into your workflow is a transformative step forward.